About the Karate Medals Support Plan, GBTKD and the role
GB Taekwondo (GBTKD) is responsible for the preparation and performance of Britain's elite taekwondo athletes at major championship events including the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The GBTKD Academy is based in Manchester where full time senior athletes on the National Lottery funded World Class performance programme train centrally.
GBTKD has been asked by UK Sport (UKS) and the British Karate Federation (BKF) to manage the funding and delivery of services to the Karate athlete Jordan Thomas. This relationship is to be governed by a collaboration agreement between UKS, BKF and GBTKD. This investment by UKS is called a 'Medal Support Plan' (MSP). The MSP is a targeted investment designed to enhance the chances of Olympic success for Jordan Thomas.
GBTKD aim to recruit and retain talented individuals through fair and effective recruitment and selection procedures. We value diversity and are committed to eliminating unlawful and unfair discrimination. Appointment will always be on merit.
Applications are welcomed from all people irrespective of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy/maternity/paternity/caring responsibilities, ethnic and cultural background, nationality, disability, religion or belief.
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children in GBTKD is a priority and an integral part of the recruitment process.
This job requires an enhanced criminal records check and written reference(s) in relation to safeguarding/suitability to work with children, as well as continual professional development.
Based at GBTKD's centralised academy in Manchester, you will drive an individual athlete development programme and provide World leading tactical and technical coaching to Jordan Thomas.
You will be required to work selflessly in the interests of the athlete and collaboratively with a range of key individuals and support practitioners to ensure maximum impact to Jordan.
- To coach Jordan Thomas and to prepare hi individual athlete development programme. To continually monitor Jordan's progress and assess the impact of the implementation of your coaching, adopting an innovative and problem-solving approach to the role.
- Document and prepare annual performance targets for Jordan. Monitor and share feedback with the GBTKD Performance Director.
- To ensure that the principles of good governance are encompassed within the delivery of your programmes, in accordance with best practice.
- To ensure the welfare/wellbeing of Jordan and any training partners is considered as the highest priority.
- Attendance and coaching at International Class and Major Championships throughout the calendar year as required.
- Assist in the development of a yearly periodised training plan which will maximise the possibility of Jordan's best performance at key ranking tournaments and major events.
- Deliver regular training sessions which are challenging and cater for modern day Karate game tactics.
- Supportively and creatively challenge Jordan to be the best that he can be so that he can excel in the modern, intense sport of Karate.
- To commit to a personal professional training development plan to ensure you can deliver the annual objectives of a coach and improve your performance against the coach competence matrix.
- Work in conjunction with sport science and medical professionals to support the continuous development of Jordan Thomas.
- Assist, in conjunction with the Performance Director, in the identification and selection of athletes as training partners for Jordan Thomas.
- Ensure that the existing GBTKD culture is respected and maintained to the highest standards.
- To be committed to continuous professional development relevant to the post and personal training needs supporting future career advancement.
- Performance Director.
- Performance Management Group.
- BKF/Home Nation Karate coaches.
- UKS Performance Adviser.
- Support service providers.
- Strategic international training partners.
- Jordan Thomas and his advisors.
- through modern media.
- Current passport.
- Knowledge and commitment to safeguarding and experience of promoting and applying internal policies and processes to ensure best practice.
- Ability to communicate fluently, in English.
- Highly motivated with personal integrity and the ability to invoke trust and respect.
- Have a passion for the MSP mission and a complete commitment to success.
- Have the ability to build non-dependent relationships with athletes and have the ability to utilise athlete feedback as a central part of your service delivery.
- Evidence an ability to positively impact high potential athletes.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of technical and tactical Karate knowledge, and experience of coaching to prepare athletes for major internationals.
- An understanding of coaching pedagogy and how coaching behavior and practice can support learning/skill acquisition across periodised programmes.
- Be motivated by seeing others thrive and progress as a primary aim.
- Ability to provide effective evidence based formal and informal feedback to both athlete and support staff.
- Ability to listen effectively and question intelligently in order to creatively explore challenges and propose solutions.
- A high work ethic with great attention to detail.
- Willingness to work irregular hours and travel extensively overseas, with overnight stays and weekend work.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentational skills.
- Experience of using IT systems and high level ability with Microsoft Office. The capability to communicatethrough modern media.
- A sports science qualification is desirable but not essential.
The post holder will be required to undertake continual professional development:
- An Introduction to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
- An Introduction to Safeguarding in Sport and Leisure.
- Sports coach UK Safeguarding and Protecting Children workshop, and progressive CPD.
- Enhanced DBS.
- First Aid training.
- National and international Karate coaching license.
- Any other development and training deemed necessary in accordance with experience as well as be qualified to coach in the UK and internationally.
National Taekwondo Centre
Ten Acres Sports Complex
Ten Acres Lane
www.gbtaekwondo.co.uk or firstname.lastname@example.org